Marketplace Checklist for Individuals & Families
If you are uninsured or just want to review your insurance options, the Health Insurance Marketplace will give you and your family choice in health plans. There are seven things you can do to get ready now.
- Learn about different types of health insurance. Through the Marketplace, you’ll be able to choose a health plan that gives you the balance of costs and coverage that is right for you and/or your family.
- Make a list of questions you have before it’s time to choose your health plan. For example, “Can I stay with my current doctor?” or “Will this plan cover my health costs when I’m traveling?”
- Make sure you understand how insurance works, including deductibles, out-of-pocket maximums, copayments, etc. You’ll want to consider these details while you’re shopping around. Visit www.healthcare.gov to learn how the Affordable Care Act works.
- Start gathering basic information about your household income and last year's tax return. Most people will qualify to get a break on costs. You will need your income information to determine how much of break you may qualify for.
- Set your budget. There will be different health plans with different levels of coverage to meet a variety of needs and budgets. Understanding what the different plans will cover and cost, can help narrow your choices.
- Find out if your employer will offer health insurance, especially if you work for a small business.
- Explore current options. You may be able to get help with insurance now, through existing programs or changes that are in effect already from the new health care law.
Attention: This website is operated by Benefinder and is not the Health Insurance Marketplace website. In offering this website, Benefinder is required to comply with all applicable federal laws, including the standards established under 45 CFR 155.220(c) and (d) and standards established under 45 CFR 155.260 to protect the privacy and security of personally identifiable information. This website may not display all data on Qualified Health Plans being offered in your state through the Health Insurance Marketplace website. To see all available data on Qualified Health Plan options in your state, go to the Health Insurance Marketplace website at HealthCare.gov.”
Also you should visit the Health Insurance Marketplace website at HealthCare.gov if:
- You want to select a catastrophic health plan.
- You want to enroll members of your household in separate Qualified Health Plans.
- The plans offered here don’t offer pediatric dental coverage and you want to choose a Qualified Health Plan that covers pediatric dental services or a separate dental plan with pediatric coverage. Pediatric dental services are an essential health benefit.